What is a Walkable City?
A walkable city is one that is designed to offer restaurants, entertainment, shopping and other amenities and necessities all reachable without the need for a car. Things that promote a walkability are density, mixed use, public transit, short blocks, numbers of destinations and the following:
- A center – a main street or a public space
- People – enough people for businesses to flourish and for public transit to run frequently.
- Mixed affordable housing located near businesses.
- Parks and public space for recreation or gathering
- Buildings are close to the street, parking lots are relegated to the back.
- Close Schools and workplaces
- Streets designed for bicyclists, pedestrians, and transit
Living in a Walkable city offers many benefits other than just convenience. Residents of a Walkable City see improvements in health, environment, finances, and overall community.
- Average residents of a walkable neighborhood weigh 6-10 pounds less than those who live in sprawling neighborhoods.
- Cities with good public transit and access to amenities promote happiness.
- 82% of CO2 emissions are from burning fossil fuels. Limiting the use of cars limits these emissions.
- Cars are the second largest household expense in the U.S. One point of Walk Score is worth up to $3,000 of value for your property.
(All stats and information are referenced from WalkScore.com).
So are you convinced? Ready to find a Walkable neighborhood? Now you can search a city or neighborhood based on it’s Walk Score. A Walk Score is a international measure of how “walkable”. 0 = Completely Car Dependent, 100 = Walkers Paradise
Find the Walk Score of your neighborhood or one you are interested in:
- From your smart phone go to http://chooseahomenow.com.
- Click on the search box.
- At the bottom of the screen look for the tab “Nearby”
- Select the home nearest to you, the first on the list.
- Scroll down and look for “Walk Score”. The higher the score, the more walkable your neighborhood is.
When you are about to make the biggest decision you may ever make financially, buying a home, you want the best of the best, a person you can trust and will guide you through the process. Don Maclary is your guy for the job!
~ John, Real Estate Pro